Tuesday, June 1, 2010

How to dress a wall???

I don't always place a sofa against a wall.

I love it at an angle....


Or floated in a room....

But sometimes it needs to go against a wall because of the space or the configuration.  Dressing the wall over the sofa is always a challenge and an opportunity.

Here are some suggestions.

One VERY  large painting...

Joseph Minton for River Hills Showhouse

Repeat the same picture in a vertical grouping.


Plate collections.....


Do an interesting wall treatment or stripes....



Stretch a trio of matching fabrics on  to frames..

Massucco Warner MIiller

Mirrors.....
Tobi Fairly

Make the wall a statement and draw attention to it with a single item.


An asymmetrical arrangment of paintings and photographs....with sconces!


Miles Redd

One singular, fabulous sunburst....


Lisa Martensen

Any more ideas? 


8 comments:

  1. The first image is very intriguing, with the sofa placed at an angle and the rest of the furniture placement following its lead. I'm not a huge fan of placing a sofa on a wall, but in all the instances you have showed it has worked...hum, it probably does have a lot to do with what you place around it. Very inspiring! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, these are all fantastic! I recently did an installation of a gallery wall of mirrors. I have also seen some very cool wall graphics and raised plaster stencils, in a tree design. Could be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay I'm back again to get a second look at that first image. Swanky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janelle, I don't like to put it against the wall in most cases either, but I've run across some long and narrow rooms lately, and that seems like the best option. I've been looking for something new ...hence the post! I love the angular placement too...sorry I don't know who did it, so please forgive me for not giving credit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE all the pics:)hey i am having a giveaway pls check and participate it will mean a lot to me~ deepali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. So glad I stopped by, layout for living rooms was on my mind this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maurie@GraciousInteriors.blogspotJune 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM

    I love the starburst mirrors...and the painted stripes reminded me of a recent post on ColorMeHappy blog. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Blogs are all about the dialogue. I'd love to hear your thoughts!